25.1.15

Turn My Pages, Bitch





I liked Whiplash; I don't know if it is a film about pursuing a passion or a film about perfecting a skill or a film about teaching or a film about drums or a film about being single on purpose or a film about having a quarter-life crisis; I suspect it aimed to be all of these things. 


I liked the main character because although he was vulnerable he wasn't totally 'oh I'm just a poor stoop kid' and he wasn't even an underdog because he was so talented. I enjoyed how normal his face was and my favourite part was when he mouthed 'fuck you' near the end, because that teacher was a (well-intentioned) control freak (with arguably risky counter-productive methods) and it is good for people like that to be knocked speechless every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment