4.4.11

Logo/No Logo

You Took My Name by Dorothy

The only one I hesitated on was Chupa Chups - I guess because I wasn't an American 'pre-teen' in the 90's.

I'm currently reading NO LOGO by Naomi Klein, I wonder what she has to say about these artworks created from brand logos? The book is pretty well-known and well-referenced; and it is good, but what I find more interesting is that it was published in 2000, and so the way she talks about the internet is so different to what we're used to now. I'm just about old enough to remember the days BEFORE the internet - actually I remember the first time someone told me to use Google. In the book she talks about how editorial and advertising content is smushing together* online-  

"For instance, on the Teen People site, readers can click and order cosmetics and clothing as they read about them"

OMFG CLICK AND ORDER ONLINE AT THE SAME TIME AS READING OMGZZZ.
It's strange to think that this kind of thing hasn't always been the norm. It's strange to think that the two - editorial content and product placement - may never be apart again.

*smushing is not a technical term

No comments:

Post a Comment